Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

tyme
Community Lead

Experiences around Study and Mental Health: What have you learnt?

Developed on request, Welcome to this thread!

We're here to talk about issues around Study and Mental Health.

1) What have been your experiences?

2) How has your study and mental health influenced each other?

3) Do you have any tips and tools to share with the SANE Forums Community?

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 8.57.07 PM.png

59 REPLIES 59

Re: Experiences around Study and Mental Health: What have you learnt?

I'll start off - just briefly (I will, no doubt, come up with a lot more later 🙂 )

I've studied A LOT. Through my intense mental health journey, I studied... can't say I did the best, but I was studying. 

Upon reflection, I've noticed that the first few things I studied was because I 'just did'. It wasn't actually a passion of mine. This ranged from medicine/law, chiropractics, medical science, early childhood education etc. 

Then, things took a turn and my MH became the focus. Upon navigating my mental health, my studies reflected my interests. I studied psychology, counselling, disability inclusion. I still remember sitting in an inpatient unit writing notes for my psych degree. 

Now, I'm in the middle of a research paper, looking at a particular psychotherapy.

Hence, without my MH experiences, I wouldn't be where I am today. 

I've certainly learnt a lot, and I've chosen to embrace my mental health to support the community. 

Lessons learnt? Everything happens for a purpose. We accept the things we cannot change in order to better ourselves.

Hoping to hear from others @PinkFlamingo @ENKELI @HelloKitty1981 @Oaktree @Birdofparadise8 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…. You truly are such an interesting person @tyme !

I tried studying a few years ago, but I failed. My MH got in the way too much. Hospital admissions, the massive focus my ED takes up in my daily life and zero motivation. What I was studying was probably not really something I was passionate about either, it was just an option. 

I’ll cheer on anyone that can handle studying and battle significant MH issues. 

I studied Nursing and Midwifery as a double degree in 2012. I did 18 months and did really well. I achieved a lot of high distinctions. Unfortunately I became unwell and was hospitalised. I tried going back a number of times but stressed myself out and was unsuccessful. I went to UWA probably 2 or 3 years ago to study psychology but pulled out when I caught covid. I love to study and a bachelors degree is on my bucket list but hubby is not a fan. I may do a cert 4 in peer support (mental health) but I need to find the money first. 
@tyme @Birdofparadise8 @PinkFlamingo @Bow @TAB @Shaz51 

Thanks so much for the thread @tyme 😊🌺

That is a lot of study indeed - and I was particularly touched by how MH changed the direction of things, and influenced where you are and what you do today 🌺

I have not always had access to education, because per Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, I had other stuff to focus on sometimes, so I entered tertiary education later on in life. 💜

I always wanted to study some science - really tricky, brain aching difficult science - but then I had a bad accident and hurt my brain, which precluded me from heavy science brainy stuff (I had to change direction in study). 

I decided to go into allied health, then I had some life changes (divorce, high risk of homelessness, recovering from spinal surgery and learning to walk again..all at once, for instance), so it took me longer than I planned. 

After recovering from those, I finally am now in a place where I can do the Grad Dip I always wanted to do, in counselling, so I am a bit scared, along with a little determined, to not let mental health get in the way of what I want to achieve so I can use what I have lived to help others. 

My tips are: take care of yourself so you can do your study - eat, drink, and sleep.

Nurture your mental health: engage in things that bring you health and happiness if you can - exercise, hobbies, and chat with people who care and respect you.

Ask for help when you need it (or preferably before), so you can take some of the pressure off as needed

And reach out to places where you feel supported by like-minded people when youre feeling vulnerable 

Looking forward to hearing from my fellow Forum'ers about your study and MH journeys, and the sharing of tips, tools, and the odd frustrations! 😊🌺

I'm interested to know how others manage, but I don't really know what I would have to add. Yes, I'm studying full-time and have MH issues, but I got good grades last year. This year so far is going well. It is challenging, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. 

It's just hard when my depression can become overpowering and then I won't do as much work as I should do. Then I'll get stressed because of not doing the work so it has a flow-on effect. 

Sorry that's all I can say. Maybe once others say something I might have more. 

@tyme @PinkFlamingo @Blackbird11 @ENKELI @Bow 

Isn't peer support free through tafe? 

@Blackbird11 is doing it free through the Tassie government. 

Is that not the same for you @Oaktree?

@Bow  and @Oaktree 💜

the significance of MH experience really does change how our lives move through time, for sure... and I also think this is currently underestimated in terms of impact, in society today (maybe its due to the effect of stigma minimising the significance, I am not sure) 🌺

I felt like I had to let go of so much fear of failure and negative self talk when I started out, because I saw myself as totally inferior to all my fellow students 💜

I still do actively manage that to this day 🙂

I was wondering if you would like to change anything about the systems of education to make it easier for people to engage in learning while living with MH? 😊

Thank you for sharing everyone @Birdofparadise8 @PinkFlamingo @Oaktree @Bow ,

Study is not the be all, end all.

Life experience has been my greatest teacher, and no man/woman/degree can ever teach me what life  has taught. That is the main thing.

For me, study is only a thing on the side. 

On top of talking about MH and study, MH and work is also important to discuss. 

Throughout my MH recovery, I was always working except for the 2 years I stopped working so that I could do full time volunteer work. During that time, I just used my savings to live. I didn't have any income as I wasn't looking for work either (Centrelink). I don't regret it one bit though.

@tyme thanks for your perspective. 

I was beginning to feel a little triggered reading what everyone is studying/has studied because all I can hope for is to complete a TAFE certificate in Business Administration. I'm feeling really dumb because it's such a basic course compared to what everyone else is doing.

I'm here to see if I can get help with motivation to complete the course successfully. 

Just need to reset with some anti-anxiety meds, will hopefully be able to come back soon.

Apologies everyone, y'all are so intelligent and kind

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance