Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Reggiethecat
Senior Contributor

Husband on 24 assessment hold

1st time posting here.

My husband has been having what we strongly suspect is a manic episode since January. It escalated quite significantly in the past 6 weeks. He has been verbally abusive, threatened violence, laying complete blame for his anger at my feet, degrading my work/parenting, telling me that I just sit in my comfortable life and am happy to watch him work and pay for everything, won't let me get a full sentence out before he cuts me off etc etc....

And then 30 mins later uber sweet to me...

Anyway, I took my cats and myself to emergency accommodation last Sunday as his threats had increased. Sent my son to his dad's (my first husband).

I called a couple of his close friends and asked "how does husband seem to you?"  And all of them were as worried as I.

Called mental health triage, it took them 3 days to connect with husband as he had smashed his phone. Got it repaired and triage told him he was being referred to CATT team. This whole time I'm receiving abusive emails still maintaining that's it my fault. Took CATT team until today to see him face to face as he's been dodging them.

He has been admitted to hospital on a 24 hour hold. He has removed me as next of kin.

I'm relieved he is being helped but I'm devestated at the cost this will have as a couple, family etc..

I don't even know right now if he ever wants to speak to me again. I know I did the right thing, I had no choice. I'm just so upset right now. X

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Husband on 24 assessment hold

Hi @Reggiethecat 

I'm so sorry you've been in this awful situation. And I'm also so glad you left. It definitely sounds like you've done the right thing. I can understand how you're upset he doesn't want to speak to you. Keep reaching out. I think things will become a little easier as the days go on. Do you think that too? 

Hoping to see you around,

Hanami

Thanks @hanami 🙏♥️
After posting this I did receive an email from him asking if he could see me sometime... I said of course, let me know when etc...
I'm hopeful but trying to not think to far ahead. Self protection maybe?

@Reggiethecat it's probably a good idea to not think too far ahead. Maybe self-protection?!

But that's ok.

❤️

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Reggiethecat 

It sounds like you did the right thing. Because CATT team came the situation was taken seriously.

You really are in a carers role. That is tough when it is your husband.

I hear a lot of things you think he thinks this and that. There is a good chance he will be dealt with a mental health issue.

The husband you see may not be the husband you know until he is assessed and maybe counselled or medicated.

Often things said are not meant or remembered. Especially with manic episodes.

You obviously still care and are willing to help. Good to vent. Frustration with the person and frustration with the systems are hard.

I hope you vent on Sane. This may take time for your husband to settle. His mind may also be exhausted.

Hope you do not overthink too much while he is away. Relax for the return. Maybe document things so the doctor has an idea if you are asked

Good idea 🙏
I'm trying to recharge my batteries because I know this will go on for a while yet. 🙏♥️
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance