Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Need to vent

Hello @BlueBay 

I hear you about "crashing". I had something of a similar experience yesterday, despite having accomplished nearly everything I had wanted to do.

Pacing ourselves, not trying to get too much done in any given time, and simply being aware that our mood levels will go up and down whether we like it or not, I think, is important.

It is, I believe, a matter of being prepared for those ups and downs, that make them a little easier to manage. If we try to pretend that we are not going to have any downs, it is then, when they appear, that we find them so much more difficult to cope with.

And being aware that they will happen is not going to cause them to occur, it is just a matter, if we have something of a plan, that might include a straight factual comment, to anyone else who may be around,   that we "have hit a low", means that they also are prepared and "in the loop" about what is going on for us at such times. 

It is that safety net in action. Not difficult to keep in place, but very effective.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

I'm going slow @HenryX 

I did my usual walk this morning znd pretty much rested today 

I'm really exhausted a lot 

Didn't feel well yesterday abdomen pain and burning pain 

Hubby has gone to buy dinner then an early night 

no craft projects today 

I think I'm putting too much pressure on myself 

when I feel all the negative feelings I want them to go away 

see this is my black and white thinkibg @BPDSurvivor 

@BPDSurvivor @Flying_Hams @Snowie @Owlunar @Shaz51 @Snowie @Emelia8 @Eve7 @Anastasia and others 

Hugs my sister xoxo @BlueBay 

Ohh takeaways for dinner sounds great 

We had Quiche for dinner tonight  xxx

Hello @BlueBay 

Pleased that you are 'measuring' your pace. Great that you were up to go for your walk this morning.

Regarding feeling exhausted and the abdomen and burning pain, while I am aware of your recent op., these physical and psychological symptoms can occur or be inflamed after certain events. These symptoms often occur when we re-experience an event or situation, either mentally or physically, that has caused or does cause us pain or trauma, either physical or psychological, from which we need to recover. Those experiences are often associated with PTSD.

Yesterday morning when you were writing a note to @Owlunar , you mentioned that your Mum was “at it again” and then reflected that your “mind is in overdrive....” The reference to “overdrive” may be your way of saying that your mind is frantically trying to work things out. While I can not say that it is so, in your situation, I wonder if your mind often goes into one of these “spins” after an interaction with your mother?

Once again, your situation reminds me of experiences in my life. However, I also have to be careful not to project my own experiences into your life and situation, as if your life is my own.

I wonder if you would feel up to giving us a little more discussion of your recent interaction with your mother. Possibly, just an outline of events, if you can. Doing so may be cathartic for you and allow those here, who are concerned for you, to know a little more about your situation.

I would also suggest being cautious around this time {Christmas & New Year} about working so hard to meet, what you think, are the expectations of other people, and forgetting to attend to your own health and welfare.

It is easy, for any of us, to get so wound up, that when all the activity seems to be over, we “fall in the proverbial heap.” During this time of heightened activity, I believe that we need to take regular breaks from activity. Scheduled breaks and activities in an alternating pattern. This way, the drop in activity, when everyone goes “back to normal”, does not cause us such a shock, which can lead to very low moods.

And let your safety net activate, as and when it may be needed. Keep the people, closest to you, informed of how you are feeling, so that they feel allowed to be involved in those feelings and with you. This is not burdening anyone else, rather, just good sense. It also means that any crisis, if it occurs, is likely to be of a reduced nature and thus you are imposing on others less than you otherwise may. Those people can be your greatest allies.

With My Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @BlueBay 

I am sure that your surgical wound will take longer to heal when you are stressed - and it's a big operation I know - my cousin had one too - recently - it needed to be done and the post op period was tough

I really feel that people need to have hospital care for a couple of days at least - we all need to get out asap though - because of MRSA - no one wants that - still - I found it painful coming home from hospital this time - the pain in my shoulder and back is easing - being in bed for so long isn't good either. Sometimes it's necessary

Anyway - your mother - she is doing whatever she does to aggravate you - I am sure - I do wonder how she feels about herself when you are not there - I think about my mother and saw her dying with regret - and I am sorry about that. She picked on me and after over 70 years of that I had enough and walked out on her. It's hard to do that - I am a kind hearted person myself yet I gave my mother tough love as I just did with my daughter recently and did a lot with my son,

It's important for you to work on your self-esteem - forget about what other people might be thinking or whatever about you, It really is none of your business and it will only bring you down to be so hurt by it  - I do understand.

And early night - um - yes - I have had a few lately - and then woken up too early - with too much to think about. Tonight though - someone in the next street has had a party going since the afternoon and it's still happening - with music which is not too loud but enough to be annoying if I try to relax. Maybe I will steep later tomorrow

But I will go to bed soon - I will leave the TV on - strange that - it will be just as useless but when I can get up and turn it off it's okay

Yes - I was frightened about you when we first met - not now - and I have seen your art - what art! You are gifted. I know you find that hard to believe but it's true

Sending hugs

Dec

Hi @HenryX 

I phoned my mum the other day. Dad answered the call. First time ever!!!  He never answers the phone. He doesn't ask how the family is or anything. He says "I'll get mum". She comes on the phone in a cold tone. I say to her that I'm sending their Xmas present via my oldest son as he works close by. And I'm also sending my daughters birthday invitation with the present as she insisted to do it that way. 
she says to me "oh your sister got your daughters invitation last week" I replied oh ok. She then says gotta go bye. 

I know she is angry that my sister received invitation before she did. But when my daughter called her last week she told my daughter "give the invitation to your brother and he can give to us" 

I don't know why she has to get angry. It is her issue. I know. But she says things like this to me. So I'm not calling her. I'm busy. I'm recovering from surgery. I'm dealing with my own crap. 

there's a lot more to my mum. Maybe one day I will write. @Owlunar  You already know quite a bit. 
yes @Owlunar I sometimes think about her and think she is jealous that I'm close to my kids. She isn't close to any of her kids oh except one (which I think is their carer). 
she isn't close at all to any of her 9 siblings. Such a shame. 
I think she's jealous when hubby and I go away because they're stuck inside at home like she keeps telling me. 
she tells me every time I call "oh this is our life now we're stuck at home". But yet when I ask if they would like to come over there's an excuse snd the answer is always no. 
So I give up.

@Owlunar im a very soft kind hearted. I would do anything for anyone in need of help. 
but I'm also a sensitive person.  I'm not strong. Yes more work on my self esteem. Need to let my new psychologist know. 

@Shaz51 @BPDSurvivor @Flying_Hams @Emelia8 

Hello @BlueBay 

While I can still hear some distress coming through in your comments, I can also see in your written words and sense in the way that you write them, a sense of equilibrium and balance. You appear, to me, in your most recent note today, 5 December, to be stepping aside from events that you may find difficult and unpleasant and talking about those events. I believe that that approach is probably beneficial for you.

In some of your previous comments {see comment below about note of 03 Dec 2021 11:46 AM}, you just blurted out whatever was on your mind, in what I would describe as a disjointed and somewhat disconnected manner. Today you sound as though you are stepping aside and considering what is going on for you in a far more orderly and coherent manner.

This coherency and orderliness of thought means that it is probably easier for you to see what is going on and also, much easier for others, such as @Dec , @BPDSurvivor , @oceangirl , @Snowie , @Shaz51 , @The-Hams , @Emelia8 , others and me to connect with what is happening for you through your descriptions of those events.

On the other hand, like me, {while I remind myself that your life is not mine, but I do see similarities and parallels between both} you are still trying, valiantly, to maintain a connection with your Mum and Dad, through personalised contact via phone and contact through other members of your family. I would encourage you, as both your psychologist and others, including me have suggested, to minimise your contact, directly and indirectly, with your parents, unless you deem such contact to be really necessary and imperative. It may be possible to consider written communication. We can still use what we call “snail mail”, text messages (judiciously) and other methods. Unfortunately, each time you make contact directly with your parents, either by seeing and speaking with them directly or by phone, or through family members, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and distress. I would also avoid communicating through your siblings. This can make them “the meat in the sandwich” which can cause them discomfort and possibly distress. It can also mean that they may feel, in some way, obliged to convey, not only a return message but also the manner in which it was given.

Interestingly, it was you who said, on the 03 Dec 2021 11:46 AM, that

“my mum's at it again”

However, from your response, it was you who initiated that contact. And in the same note, on 3 Dec, that sounded so disjointed, frantic and somewhat incoherent, you said, addressing me:

you were right, I think I'm crashing, I'm so exhausted”

It would appear to me that there is a significant connection between you having phoned your Mum, and the subsequent disjointed, frantic and seemingly incoherent style of the note, and the awareness that you thought you were crashing and feeling exhausted.

Compare that note with the clarity, coherence and orderliness of your note this morning. You were even able to talk about the events of the 3 December in a reasonable conversational manner, so different from the apparently distressed and anxiety-riddled manner of the other day.

The discussion here does not have to do with the motivations, distress, reasons for certain actions, reactions or responses or anything else to do with, or that can be attributed to your mother. It is so easy to pass off the responsibility for outcomes to someone else when it is not the other person with whom we are interacting here on the forum. For any people on the forum who interact with you, it is you to whom and about whose actions we speak and about whom we are concerned.

It is all about you, what you do, why you do things, and most importantly of all, your actions, reactions, responses and health and welfare.

Thank you for your note this morning which was informative and also very reassuring.

With My Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Sending squishy hugs to you @BlueBay 

💙💙🤗🤗💙💙

thanks @HenryX  for your reply.  I do understand what you're saying.  I don't chat to my sibling apart from one sister who i phone every now and then.  the other two siblings i don't talk to.

if i was to write a letter to my parents it would be very strange, we are on talking terms atm.  i just need to limit my calls to her.  

thanks for the squishy hug lovely @Eve7  same back to you xxxoooo

i have just finished an order for 10 bath salts for a cousin, ready to deliver to her on thursday

so excited also because i got my labels for the jars today, delivered by aust post.

I have something else i am sewing to add to my collection - some baby burp cloths.  i have almost finished them. can't wait to put them on instagram and facebook to sell.  then i have an idea of making foot scrubs to sell with the relaxation salts.  but i will make that next year.  my mind is racing with so many things i would like to make.

you rreminded me @Owlunar that after my hospital stay i wrote to Ramsay Health to acknowledge the great staff of nurses i had while i was there.  I had a young male nurse who was fanstastic, caring and very helpful.  i have never had a male nurse before so i thought it would be nice to write and acknowlege how professional and caring he is.  

i hope everyone is having a nicde sunday.  oh i went down the beach for an hour, the water was crystal clear and calm.  beautiful.

@Shaz51 @BPDSurvivor @Emelia8 @Anastasia @Flying_Hams @oceangirl @Snowie 

What do I do? Suggestions advice pls 

as you know I lost my job in July 

dr snd psych don't think I'm ready yet to go back to work 

im now thinking I enjoy not working and enjoy my crafts 

but I feel guilty 

I love the area we live in 

have lived here permanently 25 yrs but been coming here since I was a child as my parents had a beach house

im really attached to it emotionally with lots of memories 

rationally we need to move to make money on our house but move to anorher suburb out a bit only 30 min from here

but - it won't be the same 

it will ease our finances 

I feel I'm too blame 

but I was well enough to continue working 

if we stay in area we love we would still have mortgage 

@Eve7 @HenryX @Owlunar @Shaz51 @BPDSurvivor @Anastasia @Snowie @Emelia8 @Flying_Hams 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance