Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Help

Hello @Sunrise9 , @mishyanne73 , @flybluebird , @Tinker67 , @AussieRecharger 😀👋

Tinker67
Senior Contributor

Thank you @mishyanne73  for sharing your story and perspective.  I also found it really insightful, and it is reassuring for me to understand some of the reasons my son behaves as he does, not telling me all that is going on for him, perhaps to protect me. 

I really like your insights and advice and will keep them in mind when my son is going through a hard patch.  At the moment he's doing pretty good, just started a new job and enjoying having an income again.  He's 17 and full of dreams of getting a ute and going on camping trips with his mates, so hopefully he can aim for that goal.  

All the best to you.  And I hope things improve for your brother @Sunrise9 

So glad to hear that he is doing better. Goals are so important and to feel that sense of achievement. And great to have family support.

Thanks so much for the reply. It's such a difficult time and great for people to reach out and ask for help.

Thank you. Having a mental illness doesn't mean we want to be treated like children. We are so clearly not......

Appreciate your support.

Awesome! That's great. I'm so glad you wrote back. Yes, my life is much different now. Yes the doctors say that I will always have schizophrenia and I'm fine with that. It doesn't bother me anymore, like it used to.

Your brother is very lucky to have such a wonderful family who are trying to support him. It's so difficult, culturally and living day to day without the acceptance of others.

It's scary more than anyone could ever explain. Especially when people around you find out and start with their BS. It's a bit like the bully in the playground really. I do understand though that it is due to a lack of understanding. The reason I have to sit around and hear newsreaders refer to schizophrenic people as violent or whatever when they really have no clue. That's life, like Ned Kelly said.

Wishing you all the very best with your brother, he does sound like an amazing individual and I am sure he will pull out of it better and better each time, like I did.

Keep the faith and Merry Xmas!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance