Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Zoe87
Casual Contributor

Severe Treatment resistant Agitated Depressinon

Hi. I'm Zoe. I used to be a Registered Nurse. I grew up on a farm. I have 2 adult children and 3 beautiful Grandchildren.

Been married to a wonderful man for nearly 35 years. We have stuck together through thick and thin on both sides. I have been his carer since a severe episode of treatment resistant Agitated Depression  about 16 years ago. It took 3 years then to get my Husband back: Over 100 ECT treatments,  various medication changes due to ineffectiveness.  Then they put him on a last resort,  old fashioned antidepressant. 

For the last 13 years he has been an extremely stable, very active man with a very dry sense of humour.

Last year there was a shortage of his medications, but I managed to maintain his supply by making many phonecalls and lots of running around. This year, in May, our Pharmacist notified us that his medication  had been discontinued. Whilst we still had a small supply, I endeavoured to get him a Psychiatrist appointment for guidance in coming off the drug. By the time we saw her in Mid June, I had already reduced him down to 2 tablets a day, just to get him through to the appointment. After a further week on 1 tablet a day, he needed to have a 2 week washout, before commencing another antidepressant. 

Within 36 hours of ceasing his Antidepressant,  his symptoms started reappearing, and within 3 days he was admitted to hospital.

He returned home after 3 weeks, heavily dependent on an antianxiety drug to function in any way. This has been a nightmare of a rollercoaster ride. He has been back in the Older Persons Mental Health Unit for 2 weeks, and has commenced ECT treatment again. 😢

It has been devastating to see him go through this again! He only leaves his room to go to dining room at meal times. He is scared of the most basic things, like showering. He will only go for a walk outside with me or his son, and shakes constantly while we are out, always looking for danger. He is still having suicidal thoughts, as he doesn't think he can get through this again. He thinks they will lock him away.

I have to limit my visits to him to just over an hour, as it distresses me too much. I need to stay strong for him. I also ring him twice a day, but the conversations are very depressing.

If you read all this, thanks for listening. My big fear is that they won't find an effective medication for him to be able to return to normal life. X

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Severe Treatment resistant Agitated Depressinon

hello and welcome to the forum @Zoe87 

hugs and how are you today 

my husband has had lots of different diagnosis , and has gone through lots of meds , still having lots of ups and downs 

@Former-Member, @greenpea@Determined 

Very tired today after visiting my husband. It's so draining,  but I can't even imagine what he is going through. I hope they find something to help your Husband. 💜

I'm so sorry to hear what is happening to you and you rr family, I too am in deep trouble with my partner tf and son both with mental issues  

It's hard 

One day at a time 

Hi Zoe , my heart goes out to you xx As I read your story- I felt like I was reading ours. My husband (also of almost 35years!) has just returned to hospital - second time since August and begun a course of ect. In his fist admission, he was eased off his current drugs, clean for a week then began a new course- a very old drug. He seems to have best results with the older drugs. I don't think it had 'kicked in' and at home he deteriorated and all he wanted to do was die. They were very dark and hard days as  we waited for a bed. It is a nightmare for him and a nightmare for me- for us all. 
take care Zoe, look after you. I will be thinking of you each day as we journey along

JL3 xx

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this too. Today I visited my Husband, and for the first time since June, left in tears. I have chronic pain issues, and today is a bad day, but to ask to speak to a Dr, only for him to just say that my Husband is hard to treat, was heartbreaking. I want som action to find him some peace! So far ECT not doing anything. Some stupid Nurse told him he should see a Psychologist!..proof that she has no idea of his condition!.

Hello and hugs @Zoe87@JL3@CAS1 

how are you today , thinking of you 

hope you are ok , here for you xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance