Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

ah, that makes sense @Trickster πŸ™‚ 

I tend to use 'reply' for that very reason πŸ˜‰πŸ™Œ

Sorry I forgot to mention that, too πŸ™‚ ... Im still learning the web site and its been months lol πŸ˜

Youre definitely not alone here, there's heaps of us on our collective walks, trying to do our best through what we are living with πŸ™‚ 

Streaming a show sounds like a nice thing to do while not feeling so well πŸŒΊ

Knowing it will pass is a really great bit of resilience πŸ™‚πŸ™Œ

Take it easy and I hope your afternoon goes ok πŸŒΊ

Here are some of our other threads in case you might like them... 

everything music 

Virtual walk around Australia 

share a cuppa 

.. where there are a bunch of our members hanging out and chatting on the forums πŸ™‚ 

@tyme πŸ™‚

Welcome @Trickster and @Alonely 

Hello @Alonely , and thanks @PinkFlamingo for the tag!

Good on you for taking the courage to introduce yourself here. I have had social anxiety in the past, too, although I'm happy to say it doesn't affect me much these days.

Don't let the disappointments deter you...as Brene Brown would say, vulnerability is a good thing - and it takes making yourself vulnerable (opening up) to allow friendships to blossom.

The standard treatment for many types of anxiety including specific phobias is exposure therapy. Consider expanding your comfort zone gently, without triggering your flight/fight/freeze response. For instance, meeting up with a friend or two, then eventually progressing to medium-sized social events (with a trusted friend at your side if that helps), before going to bigger social events. CBT can help with negative self-talk, too.

This online group might be helpful to attend, as well: https://supportgroup.mhfa.org.au/anxiety-support-group

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I hope you find the support helpful on these forums.

@tyme 

Hi @Henry2 ,

Welcome to the forums!

Hope you find this a supportive place.

Do you have any particular interests or what do you hope to receive from being on the forums?

This will help us better direct you to relevant threads.

@Spirit_Healer 

Thanks for your message and the link. 

You are right about the exposure therapy.  Unfortunately I am lacking any friends to start with, so every situation has to be faced alone until I find a connection somewhere. 

I like the idea of meeting in a group, but I find virtual meetings even worse than in-person meetings. I know, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to breaking through my social anxiety. 

We had a very robust Peer Group Chat tonight. It is all text based. I wonder if it's a start to help you get used to a 'social' meetup? @Alonely  Our chats are live, each Thursday evening 7-8:30pm AEST.

Hi @Alonely I have trouble making friends too it’s so hard, I understand, we can talk if you like

This is the continuation from tonight's Peer Group Chat Peer Group Chat // Grappling Grief // Thursday 2nd May 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST  @Alonely 

@tyme That sounds good! Where do I access these live chats in future?

These chats are on a separate platform called "Chatwee". You need to register for it. You can use the same username you have on the forums. 

To register, you go to https://client.chatwee.com/popout/5fe12dcb78c130638b151232

@Alonely 

You can register whenever you want, and then on Thursday evening, you log on at 7pm, and there will be a room open where the chat will take place.

You can sign up now if you want. If you have trouble signing up, you can email us on team@saneforums.org

To find our more about the Peer Group Chat, you can have a read here: https://www.sane.org/peer-support/peer-group-chat

@ButterflyWings 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance