Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

EternalFlower
Senior Contributor

I dont know if my Dr was wrong about SH

CW

Self harm

I have lived experience of SH , although not so much. I have harmed myself a few times and sometimes on the psych ward.

My Dr and I made an agreement that i could still stay on the ward if i self harm as long as i dont do it in a certain way...i asked what that means and he showed me another way.

Idk this felt a bit off as he was making guidelines for sh. A nurse raised their eyebrows when i shared this.

Could my dr be out of line? It hurts me when professionals cant talk safely about SH, especially psychiatrists. I feel he was trying to be the cool dr and make it permissible which bordered on being unsafe behaviour from a mh professional 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I dont know if my Dr was wrong about SH

hi @EternalFlower i am quite surprised that your GP has suggested other ways to SH! that doesnt quite seem right to me
i understand that some ways are lesser then others but in the long term SH is still SH no matter what method is used

Thanks @outlander i think it was a breach of trust but dont know how to raise it to him. Doesnt feel right to me. Thank u for replying.

it is quite tricky @EternalFlower perhaps at your next appointment you could say something like 'something you said has been bothering me and that is that you suggested a new way to self-harm to me and i dont feel that is appropriate to be encouraging patients to self harm'
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance